Wednesday 29 January 2014

Voice for the animals

21 year old, Debbie Tan, studying in Republic Polytechnic under Diploma of Healthcare Administration. Her passion for animals is what drives her to volunteer at a young age.

For today’s post we sat down with Debbie Tan ; a Year 2 student studying in Republic Polytechnic who spends her time to be the voice for animals. Having volunteered at animal shelters such as Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), she shares with us her story on why she started volunteering there on top of her busy schedule as a polytechnic student.

Q: We hear that you release birds every month , so when did you start releasing birds?

DEBBIE: When I was young, my dad brought me to the SPCA, so every time he would encourage me to contribute to the society.

Q: Why did you like to help animals?

DEBBIE: I feel that birds cannot be kept in cages, they should be freed, although there are pros and cons to it. Although you set the birds free, they might be hurt, but it’s their nature, so you should let nature take it’s course.

Q: So how do you set the birds free, like what do you do?

DEBBIE: We will go to the nearby house, or maybe go to SPCA, like Geylang area, they’re selling birds, but then now it’s illegal already, I heard some laws enforcing this rule. So, we would go nearby my house, near Jurong East there, there’s a place selling birds. We would buy the birds, $10 each, then we would release it.

Q: So, just release one?

DEBBIE: My dad says that one bird signifies luck, and something like doing good deed.

Q: Other than birds, what other types of animals do you like to help?

DEBBIE: Cats. They are my favourite animals, so I will feed cats near my block, but there will be others scolding me, saying that we’re polluting the neighbourhood. But I will still do it, but I will clean up after that.

Q: So do you have any significant memory of helping animals?

DEBBIE: When I was young my dad would drive me to the SPCA, so he would bring me to the cats, that I like, and dogs. I’m allergic to cats, unfortunately, because I love cats. Despite my allergy, my dad will still bring me there. I can’t bring the cats home, but, I would still carry the cat around, help out, volunteer at the SPCA.

I used to have a cat, but my mum chased it away cause she brought a dog home. She was helping her friend to take care of the dog, so my cat ran away. Actually my cat, her name is Grey Grey, she’s very smart. I would let her free, she would go down the staircase, go down to the market and she would still come back by herself. Because I live at the tenth storey, so it’s quite smart for the cat to do that. And I’m quite a quiet person, so I would usually talk to my cat.

"If you can’t keep pets, don’t even start to buy it. you have to be prepared to take the responsibility. If you are not prepared, forget the idea of keeping pets. -Debbie"

Debbie's shares with us that it is her family culture that has shaped
her into the person she is today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment